Sunday, November 10, 2019
The vision for this event is to have 54 solo women (1 at each of the 54 sites) dancing together simultaneously on the steps of each state capitol buildings on Sunday November 10, 2019. (Time is 3.30PM Eastern Time, 2.30PM Central Time, 1.30PM Mountain Time, 12.30PM Pacific Time, 11.30AM Alaska, 10.30AM Hawaii, 6.30AM (Nov. 11) Chamorro Time)
The intention: the 54 dancers stand together, not FOR or AGAINST anything, just to stand alongside – to send out ripples of goodness from the symbolic power centers of each location. The dancers will also be live streamed on video, creating a web that joins them together across space.
Organization of this event is happening in a very grassroots way. We would love it if you would consider being a performer and helping to bring this vision to life.
- Support team: each performer will be asked to organize 2-4 additional people to assist with the following:
- 1 person to be on a group phone call to coordinate timing and possibly music (played over speakerphone)
- 1 person to livestream the performance through their phone or ipad (requires facebook access)
- Optional additional 1-2 people to hold the space and answer questions from passersby.
- Planning calls in October/November: performers will also be asked to participate in 1-2 planning calls. (See below)
- Performance details: The performance will be short (3 minutes). Clothing: all white clothing, any style; shoes any color. The movements are simple in order to support the dancers’ attention to unity with other dancers. Each dancer is to have a bowl of their own choice, preferably an an earthenware one. See video showing the movements and other details.
- Future film: The goal is to create a short film about this event that will include excerpts of the different livestream videos.
If you are interested in performing, please email email@example.com and include the following information:
- Your name as you wish it to appear in any event info (optional)
- Your preferred phone number and email address.
- Any questions you have about the event.
Additional Details for Performers
Below are details about upcoming planning calls, which are important for creating a strong connection between the dancers and understanding details of the performance. Please review the information below carefully (also available online here). If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out by phone or email using the contact info at the bottom.
Performance check-in (required): We ask that all performers participate in a 60-minute call on at least one of the following dates. During this call, we will talk through the performance and logistics in detail. (All three calls will cover the same information.)
- Wednesday, November 6 @ 8 pm ET / 7 pm CT / 6 pm MT /5 pm PT, etc.
- Thursday, November 7 @ 8 pm ET / 7 pm CT / 6 pm MT / 5 pm PT
- Saturday, November 9 @ 2 pm ET / 1 pm CT / 12 pm MT / 11 am PT
We will be using Zoom, a free webconferencing software, but it will also be possible to join by telephone. You will receive a separate invitation via email with call details.
Learning the choreography
A video of the choreography is available. Please use this video to learn/practice the movement.
The performance follows an ABA structure.
A: initial movement sequence (everyone will do this in unison), lasts 1 minute
B: each dancer moves into an individual pose, which is held for 1 minute
A: the opening movement sequence is repeated without the bowl, lasts 1 minute
The music will be a section from Ravel’s Bolero.
15 minutes prior to the start of the performance, you or a member of your support team will dial into a conference call, which will help us coordinate the start time.
The music will be played over the call and can be broadcast over speakerphone.
Costumes & props
- Performers are asked to wear all white. The type of clothes you wear is your own choice.
- Please also choose a bowl that you like, which you will hold during the performance(see video). Preferably earthenware. Can be any size of your choice.
Additional details to be covered during the required performance check in call
During the calls a few days prior to the performance, we will talk through the following
- Timing: coordination of start times and transitions from sequence to pose to sequence
- Where to stand in relation to the building
- Video: how the dancer should be framed, how to livestream, how to upload the video following the performance
- And more…!
Again, please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have questions! Thank you again and warmest wishes.